More than 5000 years ago yoga & Ayurveda started its journey in ancient India as the science of exercise and healing, passed along from teacher to students through physical practice.
Travel about 5000 miles and 5000 years later across the Indian ocean to Coogee’s Wylie’s Baths and you will see a dedicated group of yoga students every morning practising yoga in the open air studio in a class on the northern deck guided by one of the inspirational local yoga instructors.
Wylie’s Baths in Coogee is open all year – 365 days and yoga is also offered through all four seasons. This month, Wylie’s Winter Wellness space is being upgraded, with an enclosed marquee for winter encouraging yogis to practice all year around in the fresh air surrounded by sea & nature.
If you have not experienced yoga at Wylie’s Baths in Coogee, here are 5 top reasons you should try it.
1. Walking into Wylie’s Baths is like taking a journey into a hidden wellness retreat. As you venture off the coastal walk way down deep into a space that is nestled into the cliffs along South Coogee, people are consistently amazed at the stunning views that welcome them. Amazingly, most locals who come to Wylie’s yoga classes have never been and they are thrilled to find a hidden yoga retreat and a cafe that serves delicious food and coffee. Forget the fast pace of busy gyms and studios, the pace at Wylie’s is always calm and staff are always welcoming.
2. What attracts many people to yoga at Wylie’s Baths are the spectacular views that are inspirational for yogis. We flow in a sun salute watching the sun rise over the ocean, stand on the deck in a strong warrior pose gazing out to wedding cake island and stretch up to the sky balancing in tree pose. Leave behind the flashy bright mirror, artificial lights that you may be forced to gaze at in many fitness centres and some yoga studios.
3. Yoga students at Wylie’s Baths experience the unique benefits of breathing in the fresh sea air to purify their lungs and practicing breathing exercises that are both energizing and grounding.Leave behind the stuffy rooms with stale air & hot sweaty body odours that you endure in hot yoga.
4. Guided meditation is practiced at the beginning of each class, encouraging yogis to leave behind their busy schedule and quieten their minds as they are guided to connect to the peaceful calmness of Wylie’s Baths. Leave behind the noisy hustle bustle of cars on busy roads or noisy neighbours that can often break the silence in a busy yoga studio.
5. Relaxation or Svasana at the end of class is what most yogis look forward to. Giving yourself time to be still and integrate the full benefits of the yoga practice into every cell of your body, mind & spirit. Nature’s tranquil music of the ocean waves and morning birds replaces the yoga studio pop music that is sometimes played in the gyms or funky yoga studios.
For the first time in 2018, Wylie’s Winter Wellness Day Retreats are being offered - it is a truly replenishing and healing full day at Wylie’s. The day spa includes a 1.5 hour uplifting yoga practice and grounding mindful meditation. A fresh light morning tea and wellness talk followed by a delicious wholesome warm Ayurveda lunch and self-care talk by our local Ayurveda chefs. A heavenly one-hour massage by the sea awaits those that chose to book in. A restorative yoga practice and yoga nidra completes the wellness day as each participant is gifted a wellness goodies bag supported by local businesses. Forget travelling out of Sydney for a wellness retreat, join us in the heart of Sydney.
WYLIES WINTER WELLNESS FREE CLASSES Saturday – Sunday 15-17 June